The Aga Khan Hospital for Women and Children, Kharadar was established on 15 April 1924 as a Maternity Home with the support of His Highness Sir Sultan Muhammad Shah Aga Khan III and the philanthropic efforts of Vazir Bundeh Ali Kassim. The Maternity Home was originally named the Janbai Maternity Home after the mother of the founder, Mrs. Jan Bai Kassim.
With the introduction of an advanced general surgery unit for women, the maternity home now functions as a full-fledged hospital for women and children and has been renamed as the Aga Khan Hospital for Women and Children, Kharadar.
The current Aga Khan Hospital for Women and Children, Kharadar is a well-equipped 48-bed hospital with a delivery room, operation theatre, laboratory, OPD, inpatient, nursery and a pharmacy. The hospital also has a Midwifery School and provides hostel facilities for trainee midwives.
The Hospital was declared "Baby Friendly" by UNICEF in 1996 and acquired re-certification in early 2001.
The hospital offers inpatients and outpatients clinics in obstetrics, gynaecology, paediatrics, family planning and infertility. These services are provided by professional health care consultants and Resident Medical Officers (RMOs). Some of the other services available at the Aga Khan Hospital for Women and Children include maternity and general surgery facilities for women, as well as paediatrics.
The Hospital provides the following services: